Post-Workout Nutrition: What to Eat After a Gym Workout
It’s easy to spend the majority of your day in a gym, but what do you do after? After you’re done with the workout and before you begin the next one or after a long run, it’s essential that you provide your body with the nutrients it has been lacking.
There are a few things to consider when choosing what to eat after a workout. First, you’ll want to choose foods that are high in protein. Protein helps to rebuild and repair muscles. Second, you’ll want to choose foods that are easy to digest. Eating too much or too heavy of a meal can make you feel sluggish and delay your recovery time.
Here are some examples of good post-workout meals:
- A chicken or turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with leafy greens and a slice of tomato.
- A salmon salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and avocado.
- A vegetarian wrap with hummus, grilled vegetables, and quinoa.
- A bowl of oatmeal with fresh berries and nuts.
How Much Should You Eat?
After a workout, your body is in a state of repair and recovery. In order to help your body recover and repair, it is important to consume the proper nutrients.
There are a few things to consider when determining how much you should eat after a workout. First, consider the intensity of your workout. If you had a very intense workout, you will need more calories than if you had a moderate workout. Second, consider the duration of your workout. If you worked out for an hour or more, you will need more calories than if you worked out for 30 minutes. Finally, consider the time of day that you worked out. If you worked out in the morning, you will need less food than if you worked out at night.
Based on these factors, you can determine how many calories you should consume after a workout. If you had a very intense workout that lasted for an hour or more, you may need up to 500 calories. If you had a moderate workout that lasted for 30 minutes, you may need up to 300 calories. If you worked out in the morning, you may need up to 200 calories.
It is also important to note that the type of food that you eat after a workout is just as important as the amount of food that you eat. After a workout, your body needs protein and carbohydrates in order to repair and rebuild muscle tissue. A good post-workout meal should include both protein and carbohydrates.
Tips for Eating Well After a Workout
It is important to refuel your body after a workout, especially if you are trying to build muscle or lose weight. Here are some tips for eating well after a workout:
1. Eat within 30 minutes of finishing your workout. This is when your body is most receptive to nutrients and will help you recover faster.
2. Include protein in your post-workout meal or snack. Protein helps repair and rebuild muscle tissue. Good sources of protein include lean meat, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy, and soy products.
3. Choose foods that are easy to digest. After a workout, your body needs energy but may not be able to handle a lot of food at once. Stick to simple meals and snacks that won’t weigh you down or bog you down digestion-wise.
4. Drink plenty of fluids. Water is always a good choice, but you may also want to consider sports drinks if you have exercised intensely or for more than an hour. Sports drinks can help replace electrolytes lost through sweating and provide carbohydrates for energy recovery.